02/06/2014 - E-Waste Is Focus Of Cincinnati State High School Environmental Day Feb. 12
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 6, 2014
Media Relations/Communications Coordinator
(513) 569-4775 (office)
(859) 468-6640 (cell)
E-Waste Is Focus Of Cincinnati State High School Environmental Day Feb. 12
Approximately 125 high school students and teachers will visit the Cincinnati State campus on Feb. 12 to participate in hands-on activities designed to create awareness about the environmental impact of electronic devices.
This is latest in a series of day-long workshops for high school students organized over the past 15 years by Cincinnati State Environmental Engineering Technologies faculty members Ann Gunkel and Ann Fallon, with funding from Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America, Inc. Each year the program has a different environmentally-related theme. This year’s theme is “Wired,” exploring electronic devices and their environmental effects at individual, local and global levels.
The program will include small group experiments, discussions and exercises, as well as presentations regarding such initiatives as Toyota's Zero Landfill Facilities, the Cincinnati Zoo’s “Go Bananas” program (which recycles cell phones as part of a campaign to protect gorillas and their habitat), and other e-waste recycling programs.
Press coverage is welcome. Here’s a lineup of the planned activities:
- 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. Presenters & Students arrive on campus
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:25 a.m. Welcome & Introductions, Short Orientation, Main 344
- 9:30 a.m. – 11:55 p.m. Small group sessions in classrooms throughout the college
- Green Jobs/Co-op , Main 344
- Electronic Monitoring Systems utilized by utilities, ATLC 108
- Metal Precipitation via the jar test, Main 241
- Toyota's Zero Landfill Program and Hybrid Vehicle, Main 101 (Downstairs)
- OSHA-40 Dress out, Main 101 (Upstairs Classroom)
- Metal Analysis/Instrumentation, Main 248
- Rumpke Recycling (including electronics recycling), Main 180
- 12:00p.m. – 12:20 p.m. Lunch, Main 344
- 12:20 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Feature Presentation: Cincinnati Zoo's “Go Bananas” Cell Phone Recycling Program, Main 344
- 1:00 p.m. – Wrap-up and Dismiss
For more information please contact Ann Gunkel at (513) 569- 1783 or (859) 468-5165 (cell), or Ann Fallon at (513) 569-1750. For directions or assistance the day of the event please contact Bob White in Media Relations at (513) 569-4775 or (859) 468-6640 (cell).
ABOUT CINCINNATI STATE
Cincinnati State offers more than 100 associate degree and certificate programs in business technologies, health and public safety, engineering technologies, humanities and sciences and information technologies. Cincinnati State has one of the most comprehensive co-op programs among two-year colleges in the U.S.