Medical assistants are multi-skilled professionals who perform administrative, clinical, and management functions in medical practice organizations. The Medical Assistant certificate prepares students to work in physicians’ offices providing patient care, performing administrative tasks, and managing the medical office. Job responsibilities may include:
- Administrative tasks such as scheduling appointments, handling correspondence, maintaining and filing patient records, billing, bookkeeping, and completing insurance forms
- Clinical tasks including taking and recording medical histories, preparing patients for examinations, assisting with examinations and office surgeries, measuring vital signs, performing therapeutic and diagnostic tests, and giving injections
- Management tasks related to patient care, office personnel, and physician time
Medical Assistant students complete supervised clinical practice to develop their medical assisting competencies. Students who complete the program successfully are eligible to take the examination to become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA).
The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs is located at 25400 US Highway 19 N., Suite 158 Clearwater, FL 33763. Phone 727-210-2350. http://www.caahep.org
The program's curriculum is guided by the standards developed by the commission. Our accreditation status means Cincinnati State has met the standards required of the profession and helps to assure the public that our curriculum will graduate competent clinicians. It also qualifies the college's Medical Assistant Certificate graduates to sit for the CMA (AAMA) certification examination.
Verification of accreditation can be viewed at the CAAHEP website: http://www.caahep.org/Find-An-Accredited-Program.
Graduates Are Prepared To
- Work in physicians’ offices providing patient care, performing administrative tasks, and managing the medical office
- Take the examination to become a Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
Representative Job Titles For Graduates
- Medical Assistant
Graduate Starting Salary Projections
Medical Assistant Certificate (MAC)
All certificate seeking students must complete a First Year Experience (FYE) course as part of the first 12 credit hours taken at Cincinnati State.
Program Prerequisites: BIO 111 Biology: Unity of Life, PSY 110 Introduction to Psychology
|MA 100||Clinical Procedures for Medical Assistants||3||3||4|
|MA 105||Administrative Procedures for Medical Assistants||2||4||4|
|MCH 100||Healthcare Informatics||2||0||2|
|MCH 104||Comprehensive Medical Terminology||3||0||3|
|BIO 117||Human Body in Health and Disease||3||0||3|
|ENG 101||English Composition 1||3||0||3|
|MA 110||Medical Office Laboratory Procedures||3||4||5|
|MA 115||Pharmacology for Medical Assistants||3||0||3|
|MA 120||Medical Office Insurance Coding and Billing||2||0||2|
|MA 125||Externship and Seminar for Medical Assistants||2||12||4|
|PSY 225||Lifespan Development||3||0||3|