Placement Assessment Helps You Succeed
Placement assessment is designed to help determine which classes you should take as you start your studies at Cincinnati State. It places you into reading, writing, and math classes that are best suited for your performance levels. Students will also be evaluated on computer literacy and keyboarding skills. Assessments must be completed before admission and registration.
- Scores can be no more than two years from the date of testing.
- Submit a copy of your ACT scores to the Office of Admission via www.ACTstudent.org (ACT School Code: 5570).
- COMPASS Test Scores
- Scores can be no more than five years from the date of testing.
- Submit a copy of COMPASS scores via mail, fax, email, or they may be hand carried in.
- Transfer courses
- If you have successfully completed college level courses in math and/or English at a regionally accredited institution, you may submit a test waiver request to be considered for the waiver (as some programs may have specific requirements).
- Cincinnati State does not accept SAT scores at this time.
Prepare for the Placement Assessment
Preparation is important to ensure that you enroll in appropriate courses. This will help minimize the cost of your education in terms of time and money. You will find below some online resources to help you prepare for the assessment.
Online Resources for ACCUPLACER Placement Assessment
A free study app and sample questions are available to help you prepare for the ACCUPLACER:
- Sample test questions: https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/accuplacer/accuplacer-sample-questions-for-students.pdf
- Study App info: https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/accuplacer/accuplacer-study-app-flyer.pdf
- Study App link: https://accuplacerpractice.collegeboard.org/login
- For Smarter Measures/Typing: play.typeracer.com
Details for ACCUPLACER Placement Assessment
- Photo ID required and all state IDs must be current
- Please read this before arriving for assessment.
- Appointments are not necessary but you may register here to schedule your assessment
- Priority may be given to those who register for assessment
- No charge for first-time assessment
- Application required prior to assessment
- Allow approximately 2 hours and 40 minutes for the assessment
- WritePlacer ESL and WritePlacer, are timed 60 minute essays
- The rest of the assessment, reading, math and keyboarding are not timed
- An online calculator will appear for appropriate math questions (personal calculators as well as the Windows system calculators are not allowed)
- Pencil and paper will be provided
- Group testing must be pre-arranged; please call (513) 569-1569 for details
- Testing is not offered on College holidays
Disability Services for Assessment (Testing)
If you are a student who has disabilities or believe you have disabilities, we encourage you to contact the Office of Disabilities at (513) 569-1775 prior to testing.
Educational Opportunities Center
Visit the Educational Opportunity Center (EOC) located on Cincinnati State’s Clifton Campus in Main Building, Suite 133 and take advantage of preparation opportunities free of charge. Call (513) 569-1830 to make an appointment. For more information click Need Help with ACCUPLACER?
English as a Second Language Assessment
If English is not your first language, you are encouraged to take the ESL test which includes a listening portion in addition to reading, writing, and math.
If you live outside the Greater Cincinnati area please contact the Testing Center at (513) 569-1569 to arrange remote testing.
Clifton Campus – Location and Check-in Hours for Assessment
Placement assessment is conducted in the Testing Center, room 176 in the Main Building. Parking is $5 in the Central Parkway Garage (cash or credit card accepted). Questions can be directed to (513) 861-7700. The following are the check-in hours for your assessment. Arrive during these hours to be seated for your assessment. The end time indicates the last available time to arrive and start the assessment.
Monday and Tuesday
Every First Saturday of the Month.
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.
Middletown Campus – Location and Check-in Hours for Assessment
Placement assessment is available on our Middletown campus, located at 1 North Main Street Middletown OH 45042. Parking is free. Questions can be directed to (513) 217-3700. The following are the check-in hours for your assessment. Arrive during these hours to be seated for your assessment. The end time indicates the last available time to arrive and start the assessment.
SaturdaysEvery First Saturday of the month
9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m.