Student Loan Counseling and Master Promissory Note
All student loan borrowers must complete loan entrance counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN). Both must be completed in order to see your loans in pending aid, charge your books at the Cincinnati State bookstore against your pending loans and to receive your refund check on time.
All student loan borrowers must also complete exit counseling when they cease to be enrolled at least half-time.
Entrance Counseling and Master Promissory Note (MPN)
All student loan borrowers at Cincinnati State are required to complete student loan entrance counseling to learn about borrowers’ rights and responsibilities.
After completing entrance counseling, borrowers must complete and electronically sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) indicating they have read, understand, and will comply with the terms and conditions of their loan.
A student will need to complete the Financial Literacy for You Program. Click here to go to sign up to attend an in-person or on-line FLY session.
To complete entrance counseling and your MPN for Direct Loans:
- Go to www.studentloans.gov and click ‘Log in’
- Log in using your FSA ID.
"If you do not remember your FSA ID, go to Forgot Username or Password?"
- Click on ‘Complete Entrance Counseling’ to get started
- Read the instructions and click on ‘Complete Entrance Counseling’
- Select ‘Undergraduate Student’ and click ‘Continue’
- Read the information and click ‘Continue’
- Select ‘Ohio’ and ‘Cincinnati State’, then click ‘Continue’
- Read each page and answer the questions. After each question, the correct answer pops up. You will have to close the pop-up before going on to the next question or page. After completing each page, click ‘Continue’.
- On the 'Borrowers and Responsibilities' page, click on the link to view your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. Then click ‘Submit’.
- Click on ‘You Can Submit A Master Promissory Note’
- Click on ‘Subsidized/Unsubsidized’
- Enter your information, select ‘Ohio’ and ‘Cincinnati State’, then click ‘Continue’
- Expand and read each section, then check the box indicating you have reviewed all information and click ‘Continue’
- Enter information for your references and your name (this is your electronic signature) and click ‘Sign’
- View the PDF of your MPN, and print for your records
- Go to www.studentloans.gov
- Click on 'Exit Counseling' under tools and resources
- Click on 'Exit Counseling'
- Click 'Start'
- Read all information and click 'Next' until you get to the login page
- Log in using your FSA ID. "If you do not remember your ID, go to Forgot Username or Password?"
- Click 'Submit'
- Click 'Next'
- Choose 'Ohio' and click 'Display'
- Choose 'Cincinnati State' and click 'Add'
- Click 'Submit'
- Read through, answer quiz questions, and click 'Next' on each page
- At the final stage, enter your information, your employer information (if known), your next of kin's information, and information on two references.
- Click 'Next'
- Print your confirmation for your records