It is easy to register for classes at Cincinnati State online. Here’s where you’ll find out how to register, as well as details on priority registration, registration restrictions, signatures of approval, and prerequisites.
If you have any questions, please phone (513) 569-1522.
Registration may be completed electronically by using MyServices on MyCState, in person in the Office of the Registrar, via fax to (513) 569-1883, or via e-mail to email@example.com.
Students are encouraged to use web registration whenever possible. Registration and billing statements are not mailed to students who use web registration. A copy of the registration and billing statement is available via MyServices by clicking on link ‘My Registration Statement – Class Schedule’. For detailed information about how to use web registration, click here.
Note that web registration is not available once classes have begun.
Students may register, add or drop in person at the Office of the Registrar, via fax to (513) 569-1883, or via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Courses cannot be dropped online during the first two weeks of the semester. After the Drop period ends students are able to withdraw from courses online via MyServices
The registration schedule consists of three windows for each registration period:
- Priority 1 is a registration period for active, degree-seeking and certificate students with 20 or more credit hours (including transfer credit); Honors students are included in the Priority 1 registration group.
- Priority 2 is a registration period, following the Priority 1 period, for all active degree-seeking and certificate students.
- Open Registration is the registration period following Priority 2 for all active degree-seeking, certificate, and non-degree-seeking students. Open Registration before the start of classes does not require instructor or dean’s approval unless classes have reached capacity and/or instructor consent is required of all registrants.
Once classes have begun, instructor signatures are required to add classes. No registrations are permitted after the first week of classes.
The following registration restrictions are in place that could restrict a Cincinnati State student’s ability to register for classes:
- Courses requiring the instructor’s consent cannot be added to students’ schedules until the instructor’s consent is obtained.
- Students who owe balances from prior terms must pay the outstanding balance before they are permitted to register.
- Students on probation must see their academic advisor prior to registering.
- Students who have not attended any classes for five terms or three semesters must seek readmission through the Office of Admission.
- Students who do not meet the published prerequisites for courses will not be permitted to remain registered for those courses.
- Students who wish to register for two course sections with conflicting times must obtain the written approval of one of the instructors of the course sections.
- Students are not permitted to register for more than one section of a course per semester.
- Students attempting to enroll for a course they have failed or withdrawn twice cannot register a third time without advisor permission.
- Students who do not attend courses within the first two weeks of the semester are designated as “No Show” and are not permitted to enter the course after the second week.
Sometimes, a course may require an instructor, program chair, or dean’s signature in order to register. Students may obtain the approval on the Registration Activity Form and submit it in person to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
Signatures also are required:
- Once the course has met.
The approval of the instructor is required once the course has met. Students may obtain the instructor's approval on the Registration Activity Form and submit it in person to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
- If the course has met and is closed.
The approval of the instructor is required if the course is closed and has met. Students may obtain the instructor's approval on Registration Activity Form and submit it in person to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
- Conflicting courses.
Students who wish to register for two course sections with conflicting times must obtain the written approval of the instructor of one of the course sections. Students may obtain the instructor's approval on Registration Activity Form and submit it in person to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
Before a student is permitted to register for any course, they must have successfully completed prerequisite requirements, or currently be enrolled in the course that is the prerequisite. In some cases, the prerequisite to a course is either an appropriate score on the COMPASS™ placement test, or successful completion of a designated Development Education (DE) or Academic Foundation (AF) course.
Cincinnati State enforces prerequisite checking for all students enrolling in classes. Prerequisites are indicated on the “Search for Sections” page of MyServices by a “Y” or “N” in the Prerequisite column.
Courses without prerequisite requirements may be added to students’ schedules without testing or without an examination of students’ academic preparedness.
The specific prerequisite requirements for each particular course can be determined by clicking on the course title on the MyServices “Search for Sections” page. Also displayed are the course description, detailed meeting information, instructor information, and any specific comments pertaining to the course section.
Cincinnati State offers more than 150 classes that do not require any previous college coursework, or any preparation before you may enroll. Click here for a complete listing.