It is easy to register for classes at Cincinnati State online. Here’s where you’ll find out how to register, as well as details on priority registration, registration restrictions, signatures of approval, and prerequisites.
If you have any questions, please phone (513) 569-1522.
Office of the Registrar
Registering for classes online
You can register for classes online following these steps…
- Go to www.cincinnatistate.edu.
- Locate MyCState, in the top green navigation bar.
- Click on MyCState.
- Enter your username and password, and click the “Login” button.
- After logging in, choose the MyServices tab at the top of the page
- Review important dates for the semester and select “Continue to MyServices.”
- This is the main menu. Select “My Services for Current Students” (student picture with blue hue)
- Welcome to the “MyServices for Students Menu.” You can search for classes and register through this screen:
- The Search for Classes screen permits you to enter search criteria in order to find the sections you want. Entering the term, subject, course number, and then pressing “Submit” at the bottom of page, will display for you all sections of that course offered that term. (Entry of other search criteria will focus the search more narrowly.)
- Choose a class with an open status and check the box under Add to Cart on the left and press submit at the bottom of the page.
- A screen containing your preferred sections and your current registrations will appear. You must specify the Action of “Register/Add” for the preferred section, and then press “Submit” at the bottom of the page.
- A confirmation message will appear showing the courses you successfully enrolled. If for any reason you did not enroll successfully, a message will appear at the top of the page outlining what is stopping you from registering for the class.
- After completing registration, you will see a link to “My Registration Statement.” Here, you will see all courses in which you are enrolled (your schedule) along with your bill and dates for dropping and withdrawing courses. You can print your registration if you wish.
- Be sure to “Log Out” of MyServices when finished using the online services.
Enter username and password, and then press the login button. If you don’t know your username and/or password, you can find out by clicking on “Look Up Username/Reset Your Cincinnati Sate password” located above the login fields on the Welcome page of MyCstate.
All Cincinnati State students have a Cincinnati State e-mail account. Access to your Cincinnati State e-mail account is on this screen. Check your e-mail frequently for important Cincinnati State announcements and communications from faculty, advisors, and service offices. The College considers e-mail an official form of communication with Cincinnati State students.
Web Registration through MyServices is available from the beginning of the registration period through the day prior to the start of classes. Once classes begin, all registrations, adds, and drops must be processed in person at the Office of the Registrar, Room 161 - Main Building, or at the Welcome Center in the First Floor Lobby of the Main Building.
The registration schedule consists of three windows for each registration period:
- Priority 1 is a registration period for active, degree-seeking and certificate students with 20 or more credit hours (including transfer credit); Honors students are included in the Priority 1 registration group.
- Priority 2 is a registration period, following the Priority 1 period, for all active degree-seeking and certificate students.
- Open Registration is the registration period following Priority 2 for all active degree-seeking, certificate, and non-degree-seeking students. Open Registration before the start of classes does not require instructor or dean’s approval unless classes have reached capacity and/or instructor consent is required of all registrants.
Once classes have begun, instructor signatures are required to add classes. No registrations are permitted after the first week of classes.
The following registration restrictions are in place that could restrict a Cincinnati State student’s ability to register for classes:
- Courses requiring the instructor’s consent cannot be added to students’ schedules until the instructor’s consent is obtained.
- Students who owe balances from prior terms must pay the outstanding balance before they are permitted to register.
- Students on probation must see their academic advisor prior to registering.
- Students who have not attended any classes for five terms or three semesters must seek readmission through the Office of Admission.
- Students who do not meet the published prerequisites for courses will not be permitted to remain registered for those courses.
- Students who wish to register for two course sections with conflicting times must obtain the written approval of one of the instructors of the course sections.
- Students are not permitted to register for more than one section of a course per semester.
- Students attempting to enroll for a course they have failed or withdrawn twice cannot register a third time without advisor permission.
- Students who do not attend courses within the first two weeks of the semester are designated as “No Show” and are not permitted to enter the course after the second week.
Sometimes, a course may require an instructor, program chair, or dean’s signature in order to register. Students may obtain the approval on the Registration Activity Form and submit it in person to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
Signatures also are required:
- Once the course has met.
The approval of the instructor is required once the course has met. Students may obtain the instructor's approval on the Registration Activity Form and submit it in person to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
- If the course has met and is closed.
The approval of the instructor is required if the course is closed and has met. Students may obtain the instructor's approval on Registration Activity Form and submit it in person to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
- Conflicting courses.
Students who wish to register for two course sections with conflicting times must obtain the written approval of the instructor of one of the course sections. Students may obtain the instructor's approval on Registration Activity Form and submit it in person to the Office of the Registrar for processing.
Before a student is permitted to register for any course, they must have successfully completed prerequisite requirements, or currently be enrolled in the course that is the prerequisite. In some cases, the prerequisite to a course is either an appropriate score on the COMPASS™ placement test, or successful completion of a designated Development Education (DE) or Academic Foundation (AF) course.
Cincinnati State enforces prerequisite checking for all students enrolling in classes. Prerequisites are indicated on the “Search for Sections” page of MyServices by a “Y” or “N” in the Prerequisite column.
Courses without prerequisite requirements may be added to students’ schedules without testing or without an examination of students’ academic preparedness.
The specific prerequisite requirements for each particular course can be determined by clicking on the course title on the MyServices “Search for Sections” page. Also displayed are the course description, detailed meeting information, instructor information, and any specific comments pertaining to the course section.
Cincinnati State offers more than 150 classes that do not require any previous college coursework, or any preparation before you may enroll. Click here for a complete listing.