Useful Distance Education Apps
We hope that these applications will in some way increase productivity and reduce time taken for specific tasks. These mobile apps may also help encourage and motivate learners to accomplish study goals.
With Audioboo, you can create, record, and share audio files with your friends and family. In a teaching setting, this app is perfect if you are looking to record a lesson plan idea, a brainstorming session, or meeting with colleagues.
Take a quick tour to find out more.
Blackboard Mobile Learn makes it easier for you to keep up with your courses, by letting you access them whenever and wherever you want – now on WiFi and all carriers. If your school licenses Blackboard Mobile Learn (Cincinnati State currently does), you’ll be able to use the app for free. If not, you will need to purchase access for just $1.99 a year or $5.99 for life.
This app takes interactive teaching and learning mobile, giving students and educators access to their courses, content and organizations on a variety of devices including iOS®, Android™, BlackBerry®, and webOS® smartphones.
Here are some useful features:
- Now you can link your Dropbox account to Blackboard Mobile Learn.
- Students are able to take tests and exams delivered through Blackboard Learn.
- Students can now elect to receive automatic, personalized notifications delivered straight to their mobile devices to help them stay informed.
- Students have instant, on-the-go access to the latest announcements, and instructors can post announcements anywhere, anytime.
- Students can find out how they did on their last midterm or homework assignment by using the Grades tool. They'll even be sent a Push Notification as soon as an item in their course has been graded.
- Students can access content uploaded by their instructors and interact with it on their device.
- Instructors can help students track and manage the progress of various tasks, from turning in homework assignments to midterm reminders to purchasing textbooks.
Save a web clip from your desktop and access it on your smart phone, or any other device available to you at that moment.
- Capture anything. - Save your ideas, things you like, things you hear, and things you see.
- Access anywhere - Evernote works with nearly every computer, phone and mobile device out there.
- Find things fast - Search by keyword, tag or even printed and handwritten text inside images.
Evernote is a great tool for teachers to capture notes, organize lesson plans, collaborate on projects, snap photos of whiteboards, and more. Everything you add to your account is automatically synced and made available on all the computers, phones and tablets you use, at home or at school.
Evernote offers free online service with monthly usage limitations (60 MB/month as of 2012), and displays a "usage" meter.
A premium service is also available at US$5 per month or $45 per year for 1,024 MB/month usage as of 2012.
Skitch is a screenshot editing and sharing utility for Mac OS X. The app permits the user to add shapes and text to an image, and then share it online. Images can also be exported to various image formats. Evernote currently offers the app free of charge for OS X, iOS, Windows 8, and Android devices.
Watch this video demonstrating the exciting things you can do with Skitch.