Personal tools
You are here: Home Real-World Academics Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Why should I meet with my advisor?

  • To plan your most efficient course of study
  • To have any previous college coursework evaluated for possible transfer of credit
  • To obtain information on program policies, co-op options, or clinical experience
  • To get assistance with course selection for each term
  • To plan for courses that will transfer to a particular four year college (if applicable)
  • To obtain referrals to appropriate resources on campus

Who is my advisor?

Once your admissions file is complete (application, transcripts, placement test scores), it is reviewed by Office of Admission personnel. You will then receive a letter of admission to the College which includes your program and academic division, and a phone number to call to schedule an academic advising session.

When should I make an appointment to see my advisor?

When you receive your admissions letter, your should either call or stop by the office listed on the letterĀ to make an appointment with your academic advisor. You should meet with your advisor either prior to or during your first academic term. It is the student's responsibility to meet with his or her advisor each term, or as needed.

What if I can't remember what classes I've completed?

You can obtain an academic tracking report to help determine which courses you've completed and which ones remain to complete your degree. Complete a Request for Academic Tracking Report form in the Office of the Registrar. The report is free, but it requires a 24-hour processing period. You may pick up the completed report in the Office of the Registrar or have it mailed to you.

What are prerequisites?

Prerequisites are courses designed to reinforce basic knowledge and skills, and make up for courses that might not have been taken or passed in high school. These courses should be successfully completed prior to enrolling in technical or higher-level classes. Your advisor will inform you of the appropriate prerequisites for your program major.

What are technical courses?

Technical courses are those which apply to a major course of study. Many of these courses can only be taken with permission from the program chair and offered during a specific term. Most courses are sequential for a logical progression of skill and knowledge.

What are non-technical courses?

Non-technical courses support the technical and general educational requirements. Non-technical courses are usually offered each term and can be taken before technical classes.

What is a program chair?

A program chair is a faculty member who is responsible for directing, advising, and instructing students in their program.

What is the difference between co-op and clinical?

Most co-op experiences are paid placements that permit students to earn while learning, which defrays the cost of their education. The clinical experience is usually limited to health majors and is a non-paid experience. Clinical hours are earned in a health facility where students deliver patient care services under direct supervision of a clinical instructor.

Document Actions    Site Map    Accessibility    Privacy Statement    Glossary    Driving Directions    Campus Map    
© 2009-2016 Cincinnati State Technical and Community College     All rights reserved.