Apply NOW for 2021-2022 Academic Scholarships. Deadline is February 15, 2021. Apply Today!

Return of Title IV Funds (Official and Unofficial Withdrawals)

Title IV Federal Student Aid and Official and Unofficial Withdrawal from Classes

U.S. Department of Education regulations require that students earn their eligibility for Title IV federal financial aid funds by attending classes.

  • If a Title IV recipient ceases to be enrolled (does not attend classes) prior to the end of the semester, the student’s eligibility for Title IV funding must be recalculated.
  • The recalculation process (R2T4) may require portions of the Title IV funding to be returned to the Department of Education.
  • The student will owe the amount returned to the College and must pay this amount before registering for any subsequent semesters, or must make satisfactory repayment arrangements with the Student Accounts Office.

Official Withdrawals

Upon dropping all classes for any given semester, a student is considered to have officially withdrawn from Cincinnati State, even if future enrollment is anticipated.

To officially withdraw, a student must complete steps to clear the courses from their record. The options are:

  • Using MyServices, choose Withdraw from Classes and follow the steps provided to complete the request.
  • Submit a Course Withdrawal Form to the Office of the Registrar.
  • Send an email  message to the Office of the Registrar ( ) requesting courses be withdrawn. 

A student who withdraws up to the 60% point of the semester, is subject to a financial aid re-calculation and must return a pro-rated portion of their financial aid to Cincinnati State.

Unofficial Withdrawals

A student will be considered to be an Unofficial Withdrawal if she/he receives a failing grade (F or U) in all classes for which the student was registered in the semester, and the student began class attendance.

Instructors are required to report the late date of attendance for students receiving failing grades. 

Official and Unofficial Withdrawals
A student who has a mixture of withdrawals and grades of "F or U" in all classes in a semester will have the most recent date (last course withdrawal or last date of attendance reported by the instructor) used in the R2T4 calculation.

Refunds of Title IV Funds
If a student receives less Title IV program funds than the amount earned, the College must comply with the procedures for late disbursement specified by the Department of Education regulations.

If a student receives more Title IV program funds than the amount earned, the College will return the unearned funds, as required and in the order specified, to the Title IV program(s).

Refunds on behalf of a Title IV aid recipient must be distributed in the following order:

  • Federal Unsubsidized Stafford
  • Federal Subsidized Stafford
  • Federal PLUS (Parent Loan)
  • Federal Perkins Loan
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Stafford Loans
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal SEOG
  • Other federal, state, private or institutional sources of student aid
Binary Data

Get More Information

Complete this short form to download your free college brochure.