Filing of complaint and initiation of charges
Every formal complaint of a non-academic violation of the Student Code of Conduct shall be handled in accordance with the procedures described herein:
- Any student, faculty member, staff member or College administrator may file a formal complaint against a student alleging a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.
- To be treated as a formal complaint, the complaint must be reported using the incident form which can be found at following web address: https://publicdocs.maxient.com/incidentreport.php?CincinnatiState. Any verbal complaint not placed in written form may be handled and disposed of by the Associate Dean of Enrollment and Student Development or designee in any informal manner that they deem to be appropriate. A written complaint alleging a violation of the Student Code of Conduct should be filed with the College as soon as possible following the discovery of the alleged violation. The written complaint must be filed within thirty (30) calendar days from the date upon which a College official becomes aware of the alleged violation and identifies the student(s) who allegedly committed the violation. Absent extraordinary circumstances, the College must initiate charges, if any, within one year of the filing of the complaint.
- All formal non-academic complaints will be referred to the Associate Dean of Enrollment and Student Development for investigation, mediation, and/or possible resolution. After interviewing the accused student and all appropriate witnesses in the matter, and reviewing documentary and other evidence related to the matter, the Associate Dean may take the following actions:
- Determine that no or insufficient grounds exist to believe that a violation occurred and dismiss the complaint.
- Determine there are grounds to believe that a violation occurred, then discuss a resolution with the accused student, which may include the imposition of any sanctions.
- Determine that sufficient grounds exist to believe that a violation occurred and forward the issue to the Student Conduct Hearing Panel to conduct a formal hearing of the complaint. In the event of such a determination, the Associate Dean shall prepare a report, including a summary of the complaint and the issues involved, and list of potential witnesses and other persons believed to have information about the complaint.
- If the Associate Dean of Enrollment and Student Development was involved either in the incident that gave rise to the allegation of a Code violation, or previously counseled the accused student or the complainant about the matter, the Vice President of Enrollment and Student Development may appoint a designee to hear the case.
- If the matter is not resolved by the Associate Dean in accordance with item 2, then the Student Conduct Hearing Panel will be convened within thirty (30) calendar days, following notification to the accused student.