This section provides a description of how academic performance is measured at Cincinnati State. It includes a discussion of policies regarding the application of Advanced Placement and other external credits to Cincinnati State coursework. It describes registration procedures and a variety of policies and procedures affecting academic matters such as grades and graduation.
Assessment of Learning Outcomes
All Cincinnati State students participate in assessment activities throughout their academic life at the College. In addition, the College collects and analyzes information from graduates, employers, advisory committee members, and other external sources to assist faculty and staff in monitoring the effectiveness of academic programs.
Cincinnati State is a member of the Academic Quality Improvement Project (AQIP) of the Higher Learning Commission, North Central Association of College and Schools. Under the auspices of the AQIP, and in congruence with the College mission statement, Cincinnati State has established the following criteria for assessing the general educational outcomes of Cincinnati State graduates.
A Cincinnati State graduate will be able to:
- Read critically, including the ability to analyze and interpret a variety of printed books, documents, and articles
- Produce clear, logical, correct, coherent, and properly documented prose
- Plan, write, and deliver an effective oral presentation
- Use mathematical skills to solve practical problems
- Analyze, interpret, and critically respond to non-print media/sources
- Explain how social, organizational, and technological systems work
- Display awareness of cultural, ethnic, gender, racial, and religious diversity
- Demonstrate self-management skills such as being able to accurately self assess, set personal goals, and monitor personal progress
- Demonstrate professional and ethical workplace practices by successful completion of cooperative education, clinical or practicum experience, or internships
- Function in the workplace both independently and as a member of a team
- Display a commitment to lifelong learning
Cincinnati State is committed to a policy of equal educational opportunities for all persons regardless of race, age, handicap, sexual orientation, national origin, or gender. This policy is adopted as a matter of law and as a matter of educational policy consistent with the goals and purposes of the College.
The College also adheres to a policy of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action to end any illegal pattern of discrimination and to overcome the effects of past discrimination.