Faculty member Chef Kelsee Newman (center) was named National Champion in the prestigious Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs Competition for Pastry Chefs, held May 18, 2018, in Charleston, SC.
The competition is open to all professional pastry chefs. Chef Newman represented the Midwest Region, after winning the regional competition in March.
For the National competition, Chef Newman prepared five items in 3 1/2 hours. Entries were evaluated by four nationally-renowned pastry chefs.
Chef Newman's award-winning preparations included:
- Banana Coffee Entremet - bionda chocolate coffee mouse, banana cremeus, blackberry jam, cashew crunch, cashew cake, brueleed bananas
- Strawberry Brownie Petit Gateaux - brownie, strawberry gelee, strawberry mouse, opus blanc white chocolate mouse, marcona almond
- Smoke and Flowers - elderflower panna cotta, almond raspberry torte, raspberry crumble, balvenie 12 year scotch ice cream, poached apple, cocktail soaked fritter, raspberry gel
- Violet and Honey Bonbon - honey caramel, violette liquor maracaibo ganache, maracaibo grand cru
- Pear Walnut Kisses - pear liquor opus lait ganache, opus blanc grand cru, toasted walnuts