What is Upward Bound?
Upward Bound, located at Cincinnati State Technical and Community College, is funded by the U. S. Department of Education which provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits.
Upward Bound serves: high school students from low-income families; and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal is to provide the necessary skill for high school students, so they may become successful college students.
Who is eligible?
Mt Healthy High School students presently in grades 9 or 10 who are between the ages of 13-19 and are interested in attending college.
- Parents have not attended college
- Meet income requirements
- Meet attendance requirements
- Meet all other requirements
What does Upward Bound offer?
- Intensive instruction
- Weekly Seminars
- Social Adjustment
- Tutoring sessions
- Summer Academy (Six weeks)
- College/Field Trips
- Scholastic testing
- College selection
- Admission assistance
- Locating financial aid
- Skills testing
- Exploration of jobs
- Career selection
- Intensive instruction in Mathematics, Science, Composition, and other subjects
- Six weeks of summer school designed to meet the needs of students
- Stipend for improving grades and attendance
- Stipend for attending summer school
- Attend planned cultural events
- Exposure to a variety or careers
- Technology training
- Assistance with the college admissions process
- Academic advising
- Tutors to assist with schoolwork
- Work with a mentor
How do I sign up?
- Talk to your counselor or teacher.
- Fill out an application form
- Call the Upward Bound Center for more information: 513-569-4852