In recognition of the unexpected changes to Spring Semester 2020 classes caused by the response to COVID-19, the College has several course grading options for students to consider.
Students should talk to their advisor or program chair before using these options.
For Spring Semester 2020, students have the option to change a course letter grade to Pass/Fail (Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory).
This option is intended to give students a way to lessen the impact of our Spring Semester circumstances on your overall Grade Point Average (GPA). The process is:
The deadline for requesting a change is Friday, May 15. Requests for S/U grading will NOT be accepted after May 15.
- Each of your instructors will report a letter grade for you at the end of the semester. Letter grades will be available for viewing in MyServices at noon on Friday, May 8.
- If you received a grade of "D" or higher, you may request converting the grade to "S" (Satisfactory). The grade "S" will not be counted in your Cincinnati State cumulative GPA.
- If you received a grade of "F" you may request converting the grade to "U" (Unsatisfactory). The grade "U" will not be counted in your Cincinnati State cumulative GPA.
Students should be aware of the following:
To change a course grade to “S” or “U” log in to MyServices and choose one of two links, depending on your major:
- Grades of “S” or “U” do not affect your GPA.
- Students may choose S/U grading for as many courses as they wish.
- Some university programs may not grant credit for courses with an "S".
- A grade changed to “S” or “U” cannot be reversed at a future date.
- Some programs cannot allow a change of grade to “S” or “U” due to accreditation or licensure requirements.
If you are considering pass/fail grading, you should first talk to your advisor or program chair.
Extended Grading (Using the “Incomplete” grade):
- COVID-19 S/U Grade Choice for Spring 2020 for HEALTH Programs
- COVID-19 S/U Grade Choice for Spring 2020 for Non-Health Programs
For courses taken during Spring Semester 2020, the College will expand policies regarding grade changes and the use of “I” (Incomplete) grades.
Incomplete grades for Spring Semester that are not changed by the instructor will automatically convert to an "F" grade on August 23, 2020.
- Instructors may make arrangements for students to have additional time to finish coursework that couldn’t be completed during Spring semester. The instructor will assign an “I” (Incomplete) grade until the coursework is finished.
- Students will have until the end of Summer semester to complete the work.
- If work can’t be completed in Summer (because of continuing limitations on in-person activities such as labs, clinical experiences, etc.), the deadline for finishing the Spring coursework may be extended.
- If you think an “I” grade is an option for you, talk to your instructor. However, before an “I” grade is assigned, you and your instructor must agree in writing on the plan you will use to complete your coursework.
- After the “I” grade for Spring Semester 2020 is changed to a letter grade, you will still have the option to request a change to a “Pass/Fail” grade.
- Students who received the grade Incomplete (I) for a Spring Semester class who wish to change to a Pass/Fail grade after finishing course activities should inform your instructor by email of your preference, no later than August 31, 2020.
- If a letter grade has not yet been assigned, your instructor will assign either an “S” or “U” when you finish your coursework.
- If you have completed the coursework and a letter grade has already been assigned, your instructor will change the letter grade to an “S” or “U” grade after receiving your request.
However, students have until August 31, 2020, to send instructors a request to have the final grade recorded as Pass/Fail.
- Using an “I” grade could have an impact on your eligibility for other courses in your degree/certificate program or could affect your financial aid. Before you ask an instructor to assign an “I” grade, be sure you have discussed possible impacts with your advisor, program chair, and/or financial aid advisor.
Extended Withdrawal Date:
- The final date to withdraw from a Spring Semester 2020 course with a grade of “W” (Withdraw) is extended to the last day of Spring Semester-- May 4, 2020.
- For flexibly-scheduled classes offered through the Workforce Development Center and/or College Credit Plus, the withdrawal date is the last day of the scheduled course (as listed on your registration statement).
- The Extended Withdrawal Date does not include a refund of tuition or fees.
- To withdraw from a class, log in to MyServices and click “Withdraw from Class Sections,” or email requests to the Registrar’s office (email@example.com) from your SurgeMail account.
- To withdraw from a class for reasons related to COVID-19, log in to MyServices and click “COVID19 Course Withdraw Request.”
- Students may withdraw from as many courses as they wish.
- Students who previously withdrew from Spring 2020 courses for reasons related to COVID-19 may still fill out the electronic form, and the Registrar’s office will identify your withdrawal(s) as COVID-19-related.
- If you have questions about withdrawal from courses because of COVID-19, please contact the Registrar's office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before you decide to Withdraw from a class with a “W” grade, be sure you have discussed possible impacts with your advisor, program chair, and/or financial aid advisor.
For more about College policies on the Incomplete grade (“I”) and course Withdrawal (“W”) see the Grading Policies section of the College catalog.