Recommended Laptop Computers
(Updated June 2022)
Students in a degree or certificate program at Cincinnati State may purchase a laptop computer from the Follett College Bookstore that meets standards established by the academic and technology leadership of the College.
- Students in some degree programs may need to purchase software subscriptions, and other tools and materials.
- Some software used in Cincinnati State classes will be available for downloading at no charge.
- Students are responsible for proper setup, software installation, and maintenance of their personal computer systems.
Financial Aid considerations:
If you are using or planning to use financial aid to help pay your Cincinnati State costs, ask a Financial Aid Advisor if your financial aid award includes funds you could use to cover all or part of the cost of a laptop computer and required software (if applicable).
- If you are using financial aid to purchase a computer immediately, you MUST purchase a “Cincinnati State recommended” computer from the College Bookstore (see options below).
- If you purchase a computer and open the package, you will NOT be able to return the computer to the Bookstore for a refund. Only unopened computers can be returned/refunded.
- If you wait for your refund of “excess” financial aid (after tuition and fees are paid), you can purchase a computer from any store of your choice.
- If you are NOT using financial aid, you may purchase from the College Bookstore or another store of your choice.
Computers recommended for Cincinnati State students:
Students in all degree and certificate programs (except AVP, GRD, and WEBM) can purchase one of three recommended Dell computers from the Cincinnati State Bookstore.
- Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with i3 processor – $499
- Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with i5 processor – $699
- Dell Inspiron 15 5000 with i7 processor and 2-year warranty – $1,099
Note: Options above are expected to be available in July 2022. Recommended computers available are subject to change based on supply chain issues.
Students in Audio/Video Production (AVP), Graphic Design (GRD), and Web & Multimedia Design (WEBM) can click for more information about recommended computers for these programs.
If you already own a computer:
If you already own a computer, talk to your Program Chair or Academic Advisor. If your current computer meets/is close to the specifications for recommended laptops, you should be able to continue using your current computer.
Computer Specifications – Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with i3 processor
|Processor||Intel Core i3|
|Storage||1 TB Solid State Drive|
Computer Specifications – Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with i5 processor
|Processor||Intel Core i5|
|Storage||256 GB Solid State Drive|
Computer Specifications – Dell Inspiron 15 5000 with i7 processor
|Processor||Intel Core i7|
|Storage||256 GB Solid State Drive|
|Additional features||Includes 2-year warranty|
Computer Specifications – Apple Computers – click for more information
Students are responsible for proper setup, software installation, and maintenance of their personal computer systems. Technical support is not provided by Cincinnati State.
Loaner laptops available:
Cincinnati State has a limited number of laptop computers available for loan to students who are registered for classes.
To borrow a computer:
- First, log in to MyServices/Blackboard
- Then, click this link: Student Technology Loaner Program
- After your request is confirmed (by email), equipment can be picked up in ATLC 315 on Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.