Recommended Laptop Computers
(Updated June 2022)
Students in a degree or certificate program at Cincinnati State may purchase a laptop computer from the Follett College Bookstore that meets standards established by the academic and technology leadership of the College.
- Students in some degree programs may need to purchase software subscriptions, and other tools and materials.
- Some software used in Cincinnati State classes will be available for downloading at no charge.
- Students are responsible for proper setup, software installation, and maintenance of their personal computer systems.
Financial Aid considerations:
If you are using or planning to use financial aid to help pay your Cincinnati State costs, ask a Financial Aid Advisor if your financial aid award includes funds you could use to cover all or part of the cost of a laptop computer and required software (if applicable).
- If you are using financial aid to purchase a computer immediately, you MUST purchase a “Cincinnati State recommended” computer from the College Bookstore (see options below).
- If you purchase a computer and open the package, you will NOT be able to return the computer to the Bookstore for a refund. Only unopened computers can be returned/refunded.
- Students may only purchase ONE laptop using financial aid per academic year.
- If you wait for your refund of “excess” financial aid (after tuition and fees are paid), you can purchase a computer from any store of your choice.
- If you are NOT using financial aid, you may purchase from the College Bookstore or another store of your choice.
Computers recommended for Cincinnati State students:
Students in all degree and certificate programs (except AVP, GRD, and WEBM) can purchase one of three recommended Dell computers from the Cincinnati State Bookstore.
- Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with i3 processor – $499
- Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with i5 processor – $699
- Dell Inspiron 15 5000 with i7 processor and 2-year warranty – $1,099
Note: Recommended computers available are subject to change based on supply chain issues.
Students in Audio/Video Production (AVP), Graphic Design (GRD), and Web & Multimedia Design (WEBM) can click for more information about recommended computers for these programs.
If you already own a computer:
If you already own a computer, talk to your Program Chair or Academic Advisor. If your current computer meets/is close to the specifications for recommended laptops, you should be able to continue using your current computer.
Computer Specifications – Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with i3 processor
|Intel Core i3
|1 TB Solid State Drive
Computer Specifications – Dell Inspiron 15 3000 with i5 processor
|Intel Core i5
|256 GB Solid State Drive
Computer Specifications – Dell Inspiron 15 5000 with i7 processor
|Intel Core i7
|256 GB Solid State Drive
|Includes 2-year warranty
Computer Specifications – Apple Computers – click for more information
Students are responsible for proper setup, software installation, and maintenance of their personal computer systems. Technical support is not provided by Cincinnati State.
Loaner laptops available:
Cincinnati State has a limited number of laptop computers available for loan to students at no cost. Students eligible for loaned computers are:
- Students who are part of the CState Accelerate program
- Students who are admitted into a Cincinnati State degree or certificate program and are enrolled for 7 or more credits in a semester
To borrow a computer:
- First, log in to MyCState
- Then, click this link: Student Technology Loaner Program (the form is available to students during designated times prior to the start of each semester)
Click to download the Student Technology Loaner Program Policies and Guidelines