The Aviation Mechanics Powerplant Certificate includes the study of all types of aircraft engines (small and large piston, and jet), along with the study of engine systems and propellers. Lab experiences include inspection, troubleshooting, and repair of aircraft engines.
Following successful completion of the certificate, students may take Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) licensing tests. Certification requirements are subject to current FAA regulations and may change without notice.
Graduates Are Prepared To
- Diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul aircraft and/or helicopter engines and assemblies, such as hydraulic and pneumatic systems.
- Students who combine this certificate with the Aviation Mechanics Airframe Certificate are prepared to take licensing tests for the full FAA Airframe and Power Plant (A&P) certification.
Representative Job Titles For Graduates
- Aviation Mechanic
- Aviation Power Plant Technician
Graduate Employment Outlook
Employment of aircraft mechanics and service technicians is expected to increase slightly over the next four years, as older members of the current workforce retire.
$16.00/hr to $25.00/hr
Graduate Starting Salary Projections
Effective 2021-2022 academic year
Aviation Mechanics Powerplant Certificate (AVPC)
|AMT 100||Aviation Standard Practices||4||6||6|
|AMT 105||Aircraft Orientation||2||5||4|
|AMT 110||Aircraft Electricity||3||3||4|
|AMT 115||Aircraft Weight and Balance||3||3||4|
|MAT 122||Aviation Mathematics||2||2||3|
|AMT 201||Powerplant Maintenance 1||4||6||6|
|AMT 215||Aircraft Propellers||3||3||4|
|PHY 115||Aviation Maintenance Physics||3||3||4|
|AMT 202||Powerplant Maintenance 2||4||6||6|
|AMT 205||Starting and Ignition Systems||3||4||5|
|ENG 101||English Composition 1||3||0||3|
|AMT 203||Powerplant Maintenance 3||4||6||6|
|AMT 210||Engine Fuel and Lubrication Systems||4||6||6|
• This curriculum displays only course numbers without the added letter.
• The alternative version, when available, meets the requirements of the course version without the added letter.