Military and Veterans

Veteran Student Affairs

Office Hours:  Veteran Student Affairs is operating virtually and not accepting walk-in appointments at this time. Please contact us via email at

The Office of Veteran Student Affairs at Cincinnati State aids veterans, their eligible dependents, and selected reservists who wish to initiate, continue, or resume using their Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits at the College. It also functions as a referral source for other veteran-oriented services available at Cincinnati State, such as academic advisors and program chairs, tutoring, the Workforce Development Center, and the College’s Career Center.

The Office of Veteran Student Affairs provides:

  • Benefit counseling
  • Claims filing to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA)
  • Admission advising
  • Referrals to other College services
  • Referrals to community agencies
  • Monitoring of student degree plans and graduation progress

All veterans and eligible dependents must be certified through the Office of Veteran Student Affairs to receive educational benefits from DVA.

How to Establish VA Educational Benefits

Start here to learn how to establish your VA benefits. Forward all required documents to your School Certifying Official at

To better understand your benefits, you are encouraged to communicate with your School Certifying Official at Cincinnati State when you first enroll at Cincinnati State. You can schedule an appointment by emailing them at

Verification of Enrollment

Chapter 30, Chapter 1606, and Chapter 1607: You are required to verify your enrollment to the DVA at the end of the month every month.  

Veterans can verify their enrollment by visiting and clicking on Washington Award for Vocational Excellence (WAVE) or by calling 1-(877) 823-2378.

Chapter 33: You are required to send in a copy of your schedule to the School Certifying Official before the beginning of the semester and/or anytime you change your schedule. Please submit this information to


Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation (Voc Rehab) FAQs

Will I receive a stipend if I am a veteran receiving Vocational Rehab benefits?

In order to receive a stipend, you will have to be registered for at least 6 credits.

When do I get paid?

You can expect to receive payment the first week of the month.

If I am eligible for other benefits, can I still be eligible for Vocational Rehab benefits?

Yes. You can still receive Voc Rehab even if you are eligible for other benefits.

Can I change my major whenever I want to if I’m receiving Vocational Rehab benefits?

No. All decisions made while receiving Voc Rehab are at the discretion of your Voc Rehab counselor.

What do I need in order to be processed for Voc Rehab?

You must email an electronic form (issued by the counselor), and a current schedule/registration statement to

Will I need to submit a schedule every semester?

Yes. Please submit your schedule/registration statement to us at

What happens if I make changes to my schedule?

If you make changes to your schedule you will need to inform us as soon as possible at

Can I still receive federal aid via the FAFSA?

Yes. You may still be eligible federal financial aid (i.e.; Pell grant).

Can I submit documents electronically?


If Vocational Rehabilitation pays for my parking, how do I request it?

Parking can be requested via your Cincinnati State my services account. Print your bill showing parking and take it to the cashier’s window (2nd floor ATLC)

How do I get my books?

Once you have registered for class you may visit the bookstore to pick up your books. Your name will be listed on the Chapter 31 Bookstore List. Tell the bookstore person that you are receiving Chapter 31 benefits.



Chapter 33, Post 911 G.I. Bill FAQs

Exactly how many credits do I need to receive any portion of my Post 911 Housing Allowance?

You must be enrolled for at least 7 credits hours to receive at least half of your housing stipend. The VA will not pay for students that are attending half time (6 credit hours).  You will get paid less for online courses.

How do I receive the full amount of my Housing Allowance?

You must be enrolled full time (12 credit hours) from the very first day of the semester to the very last day of the semester (e.g. 5/8/17 – 8/19/17).

What happens if 9 credit hours start on the very first day of the semester (e.g. 5/8/17 – 8/19/17) and 3 credit hours start later (e.g. 6/12/17 mid-semester course. Am I considered full time?

No. You are considered a ¾ time rate student because your full-time status does not start until 6/12/17.

Do I need to turn my schedule in each semester to be certified?

Yes, please email your schedule to us as soon as possible at in order to be certified.

Do I need to notify the Veteran Student Affairs Office if there is a change in my schedule (e.g. adds/drops/cancellations)?

Yes; report any and all changes to your schedule as soon as possible so we can inform the VA. This helps to avoid future billing errors and possible debts to you.

Am I eligible to receive a book stipend?

You may receive an annual book stipend of up to $1,000/year with the Post- 9/11 GI Bill. This stipend will be paid at the beginning of each term. It is paid proportionately based on the number of credits taken by the student at $41 per credit hour.

Can I take whatever courses I want?

No. The VA pays for courses that go towards your current major or approved program of study. The exception is your final semester before graduation.

Can I receive financial aid with VA educational benefits?

Yes. You can apply for financial aid. You may be eligible to receive some kind of financial aid.

Will I have any out of pocket fees?

Yes. The VA does not cover parking, application fee, or e-book fees.