New Resource Center assists students who are parents
Cincinnati State’s Clifton Campus now has a Parent Resource Center, providing services for Cincinnati State students who are also parents, or serve in a parenting role.
The goal of the Parent Resource Center– currently located in Main Building Room 126E– is to provide support that helps students meet challenges as they strive to succeed in college and graduate.
The Parent Resource Center is funded by a Department of Education grant secured by Early Childhood Education Program Chair Sandy Owen, with additional financial support from the PNC Charitable Foundation.
Activities and services offered include:
- A place to gather with other parents who are students to study or talk about shared concerns
- Workshops on topics that are relevant to students who are also parents
- Referrals to resources for academic and community support
- A “Parents in College” Blackboard community
- A lending library with parenting resources and children’s books
- In the future, a children’s clothes closet
The Parent Resource Center also administers the Child Care Access Means Parents in School grant (CCAMPIS), a federally-funded program that supports Pell-grant eligible students with funding to assist with child care costs.
Students who are parents are encouraged to complete a quick online survey about their needs and challenges.
For more information about the Parent Resource Center, contact Center Manager Denise Gabrelski (firstname.lastname@example.org or 513-569-4793).