The Banking and Financial Services Certificate prepares students for entry-level employment with commercial and community banks and other financial services organizations such as insurance companies and investment firms.
The certificate courses focus on understanding key financial concepts that are critical to serving financial institutions’ clients, along with building skills in customer relations and interpersonal communication.
All courses in the certificate program also apply to the Finance associate’s degree program.
All certificate courses can be completed through online education.
The certificate program does not include cooperative education.
Related ProgramsFinance (FIN)
Graduates Are Prepared To
- Understand basic banking operations and financial strategies.
- Communicate effectively in a business setting and provide superior customer service
- Demonstrate knowledge of social responsibility trends and legal considerations in the financial services industry.
Representative Job Titles For Graduates
- Financial Clerk
- Client Service Representative
Graduate Employment Outlook
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, opportunities in financial services are expected to grow by 9 percent through 2022.
$38,080 median annual salary (Financial Clerk)
Graduate Starting Salary Projections
Effective 2021-2022 academic year
Banking and Financial Services Certificate (BFSC)
|FIN 100||Personal Finance||3||0||3|
|ENG 101||English Composition 1||3||0||3|
|COMM 105||Interpersonal Communication||3||0||3|
|IM XXX Computer Skills Elective||2||3||3|
|MAT XXX Mathematics Elective||2||2||3|
|ACC 101||Financial Accounting||3||0||3|
|ECO 110||Principles of Macroeconomics||3||0||3|
|FIN 130||Principles of Banking||3||0||3|
|FIN XXX Finance Elective||3||0||3|
|MKT 105||Marketing and Customer Relations||3||0||3|
|Students must consult with an Academic Advisor when choosing electives|
|Computer Skills Elective|
|IM 111||Computer Applications||3|
|IM 120||Electronic Spreadsheets: Microsoft Excel||3|
|MAT 105||Quantitative Reasoning||3|
|MAT 111||Business Mathematics||3|
|MAT 131||Statistics 1||3|
|FIN 120||Risk and Insurance||3|
|FIN 200||Stocks, Bonds, and Investing Principles||3|
• This curriculum displays only course numbers without the added letter.
• The alternative version, when available, meets the requirements of the course version without the added letter.