The Fire Service Technology program at Cincinnati State prepares students for entry-level jobs in fire service as a firefighter/emergency medical technician (EMT).
This program meets National Fire Protection Association standards and objectives for Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2. Graduates of the program earn an Associate of Applied Science degree.
For hands-on fire training class eligibility, students must:
- Successfully perform and complete the Fire Cadet Fitness Evaluation.
- Complete the State Application for Admission to a Fire Training Course. This application screens for age, criminal convictions, and substance abuse that may disqualify students from state certification. Documentation must be provided to the Ohio Department of Public Safety on questionable cases.
- Have the Physical Exam Form (for firefighters) completed by a qualified physician.
- Present copies of previous certifications held pertaining to firefighting and emergency medical services.
Graduates who complete the associate’s degree may continue their education at the University of Cincinnati to earn a bachelor’s degree.
Related ProgramsFire Service Leadership (FSTL)Fire Service Certificate (FSTC)
The program is accredited by The Ohio Department of Public Safety, Department of Emergency Medical Services, P.O. Box 182073, 1970 West Broad Street, Columbus, OH 43218-2073. Phone: (614) 466-9447.
Graduates Are Prepared To
- Pass the Ohio Firefighter II State Exam
- Perform at the level of a Career Ohio Firefighter II
- Perform at the level of a Nationally Registered/Ohio Emergency Medical Technician
- Further their education to earn a bachelor’s degree
Representative Job Titles For Graduates
- Career Ohio Certified Firefighter II
- Emergency Medical Technician
Graduate Employment Outlook
Many graduates of the FST program secure employment at their internship site. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that employment for firefighters will increase by about 9 percent through 2020, and employment of EMTs will increase by more than 40 percent through 2020.
$28,000 – $33,000 annual salary
Graduate Starting Salary Projections
Effective 2020-2021 academic year
Fire Service Technology (FST)
Program Prerequisite: MAT 093 Math Literacy, ENG 085 Applications of College Reading and Writing, or appropriate placement test score.
|FYE 1XX First Year Experience Elective (B)||1||0||1|
|FST 101||Fire Cadet Fundamentals ( B)||1||2||2|
|FST 105||Firefighter Physical Preparedness ( T)||1||2||2|
|EMS 110||Emergency Medical Technician Theory and Practice ( T)||5||4||7|
|FST 136||Emergency Vehicle Operator ( T)||0||2||1|
|FST 131||Firefighter Professional 1 ( B)||4||6||6|
|ENG 101||English Composition 1 ( G)||3||0||3|
|FST 123||Principles of Emergency Services ( B)||3||0||3|
|FST 120||Fire Behavior and Combustion ( T)||2||0||2|
|FST 129||Fire Prevention ( T)||3||0||3|
|FST 132||Firefighter Professional 2 ( T)||3||6||5|
|1XX Mathematics Elective (G)||2||2||3|
|10X English Composition Elective (G)||3||0||3|
|FST 126||Fire Protection Systems ( T)||2||0||2|
|FST 294||Internship 1: Fire Service Technology ( T)||1||40||2|
|FST 228||Legal Aspects of the Emergency Services ( T)||3||0||3|
|XXX XXX Social Science Elective (G)||3||0||3|
|XXX XXX EMS / FST Elective (T)||1||3||2|
|FST 223||Principles of Fire and Emergency Services Safety and Survival ( T)||2||0||2|
|FST 226||Building Construction for Fire Protection ( T)||3||0||3|
|COMM 1XX Communication Elective (B)||3||0||3|
|PHI 110||Ethics ( G)||3||0||3|
|First Year Experience Elective|
|FYE 100||College Success Strategies: Overview||1|
|FYE 105||College Success Strategies: Overview and Application||2|
|FYE 110||College Success Strategies: Practice and Application||3|
|MAT 120||Technical Mathematics|
|MAT 131||Statistics 1||3|
|English Composition Elective|
|ENG 102||English Composition 2: Contemporary Issues||3|
|ENG 103||English Composition 2: Writing about Literature||3|
|ENG 104||English Composition 2: Technical Communication||3|
|ENG 105||English Composition 2: Business Communication||3|
|Social Science Elective|
|PSY 110||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|SOC 105||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|EMS / FST Elective|
|EMS 120||Paramedic Anatomy and Physiology||3|
|FST 258||Rapid Assistance and Self-Rescue Operations||2|
|COMM 105||Interpersonal Communication||3|
|COMM 110||Public Speaking||3|
G = General Education course in this curriculum
B = Basic Skills course in this curriculum
T = Technical course in this curriculum
• This curriculum displays only course numbers without the added letter.
• The alternative version, when available, meets the requirements of the course version without the added letter.