The Phlebotomy Certificate program prepares students with entry-level skills to collect, process, and transport blood and other body fluids for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease. Students are required to complete unpaid clinical practice in a hospital or an outpatient clinic.
Graduates are employed in hospital laboratories and other healthcare settings.
Students who complete the program are eligible to sit for the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Registry Examination.
Admission to the Phlebotomy Technician Certificate Program requires completion of selective admission requirements.
- Each Fall Semester, 15 students are admitted to the certificate program based on criteria including completion of prerequisites, date of admission, and space available.
- Technical courses are offered in the evening and must be taken in order.
- Students must have a Grade Point Average of at least 2.0 to enroll in the courses PBTC 100 and PBTC 180.
Interested students must speak to an advisor and receive permission to enroll.
Related ProgramsMedical Laboratory Technology (MLT)
The Phlebotomy Technician Certificate is pending accreditation by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science (NAACLS) 5620 N. River Rd., Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018. Phone: 773-714-8880.
Graduates Are Prepared To
- Collect, process, and transport blood and body fluid specimens needed for the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of disease with attention to specimen integrity to avoid pre-analytical errors
- Communicate effectively and professionally with patients, peers, and other healthcare personnel
Representative Job Titles For Graduates
- Phlebotomy Technician
Graduate Employment Outlook
According to data from economicmodeling.com, job opportunities for phlebotomists have grown by 12 percent in the past three years and are projected to grow an additional 9 percent by 2024. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, job opportunities for phlebotomists are expected to grow by 23 percent through 2028.
$15-20 per hour
Graduate Starting Salary Projections
Effective 2022-2023 academic year
Phlebotomy Technician Certificate (PBTC)
|XXX 1XX Introduction to College Elective||1||0||1|
|MCH 101||Medical Terminology 1||2||0||2|
|COMM 105||Interpersonal Communication||3||0||3|
|PBT 100||Phlebotomy Principles and Techniques||2||3||3|
|PBT 180||Phlebotomy Practicum||1||8||2|
|Introduction to College Elective|
|HLT 100||Becoming a Health Care Professional||1|
|FYE 100||College Success Strategies: Overview||1|
|FYE 105||College Success Strategies: Overview and Application||2|
|FYE 110||College Success Strategies: Practice and Application||3|
|FYE 120||College Success Strategies: Campus Integration||4|