Choose Ohio First Scholarship
Cincinnati State is a partner with the Ohio Department of Higher Education to support students committed to college majors that lead to careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, or Medical/Health (STEMM) fields.
Cincinnati State awards Choose Ohio First (COF) scholarships to first-time students or current students who are new to one of the COF-eligible programs.
Students must complete the application form to be considered for a COF scholarship.
- Due to high volume, the application is now closed for the Fall of 2021. (Updated July 15, 2021.)
- Please check back periodically for updates on our next awarding cycle.
- Scholarship funds are limited.
COF Scholarship Information
Applicants for a Choose Ohio First scholarship must be enrolled (or in process of enrolling) in a STEMM program at Cincinnati State (see list below) starting in Fall Semester 2021 and must meet the following criteria:
- Must complete the Choose Ohio First Scholarship Application
- Must be a first-time Cincinnati State student in one of the eligible programs in Fall 2021, or a newly-declared student in one of the eligible programs in Fall 2021 (programs listed below)
- Must be an Ohio resident with the current legal status to remain permanently in the United States
- During the first semester, must complete the College’s online “New Student Orientation”
- Must enroll for a minimum 9 credit hours per semester
- Must have a grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 or higher to apply, and maintain a 3.0 GPA to continue receiving the scholarship. (Students with a GPA below 3.0 will be required to work with Cincinnati State support staff)
Choose Ohio First scholarship funds are limited, and will be awarded to eligible students on a first-come, first-served basis.
The scholarship award amount can vary, based on course enrollment, up to a maximum award of $2,000 per year (two semesters). Students must enroll for a minimum of 9 credit hours per semester to maintain COF eligibility.
May be renewable for the 2022-23 academic year.
Cincinnati State Programs Eligible for COF
- Audio/Visual Production
- Aviation Maintenance Technology
- Chemical Technology
- CPDM – Computer Information Systems Major
- CPDM – Computer Software Development Major
- CPDM – Software Engineering Technology Major
- Computer Network Administration
- Computer Network Administration – Computer Support Major
- Computer Network Engineering Technology
- Computer Network Engineering Tech – Cyber Security Major
- Civil Engineering Technology – Architectural Major
- Civil Engineering Technology – Construction Major
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography – Cardiovascular
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography – General Imaging
- Dietetic Technician
- Electrical Engineering Technology – Biomedical Equipment Major
- Electrical Engineering Tech – Electronics Systems Major
- Electrical Engineering Tech – Power Systems Major
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering Tech – Energy Major
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering Tech – Laser Major
- Environmental Engineering Technology
- Environmental Engineering Tech – Stormwater Management Major
- Environmental Engineering Tech – Water & Wastewater Major
- Health Information Management Technology
- Human and Social Services
- Land Surveying Technician (associate’s degree)
- Land Surveying (applied bachelor’s degree)
- Mechanical Engineering Technology – Design
- Mechanical Engineering Technology – Manufacturing Option
- Medical Assistant Apprenticeship (Evendale)
- Medical Laboratory Technology
- Nursing (LPN to RN Progression)
- Occupational Therapy Assistant Technology
- Pre-Nutrition Science
- Respiratory Care Technology
- Supply Chain Management Technology
- Surgical Technology
- Web and Multimedia Design
Scholarship Required Activities
During the first semester you are enrolled, COF students must complete Cincinnati State New Student Orientation (online activity, completed via MyServices)
When you submit the scholarship application, you are agreeing to meet the following requirements if selected for a Choose Ohio First Scholarship at Cincinnati State:
1. Show continued progress toward completion of a STEMM program.
2. Understand that changes to your academic program may result in a loss of scholarship funds.
3. Maintain a 3.0 GPA, and if your GPA falls below 3.0, agree to work with Cincinnati State support staff (such as academic advisors and program chairs) for academic assistance.
4. Understand that the Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program is not based on financial need and is not refundable. Amounts of awards are based on the student meeting eligibility criteria and availability of funds. Scholarship funds are to be used to defray tuition, fees, and required books not covered by other financial aid (Pell Grant or SEOG), and will be applied before any Cincinnati State scholarship. Applicants must complete and submit the FAFSA form also.
5. Participate in surveys regarding the Choose Ohio First Scholarship program with an understanding that these surveys will not identify the student and cannot be used against the student.
6. Maintain Ohio residency.
7. Participate in educational and mentoring meetings, peer tutoring, mandatory academic advising, learning communities, and any other Choose Ohio First cohort activities.
For more information about the Choose Ohio First Scholarship program:
Choose Ohio First Coordinator | Manager, Cincinnati State Career Center