ACCUPLACER – Placement Test
The ACCUPLACER may be used for advising and course placement. The assessment tool may be completed at the Clifton or Middletown campus locations, in addition to online or at an approved proctored location. Results will be forwarded to the student’s record for advising use.
Examinees must be a Cincinnati State CCP applicant with no previous test scores, an international student who needs to demonstrate English proficiency for admission, or a current student who has received advisor’s consent to test.
- Clifton Campus: REGISTER – Address and Parking information below.
- Middletown Campus: REGISTER – Address and Parking information below.
- Online: REQUEST a remote test – Note that fees will apply and testing must be completed within 90 days from the date of issuance. The online option requires that the examinee has access to a computer, web camera, audio capabilities, and a high speed internet connection.
We suggest approximately two hours to complete all sections of the ACCUPLACER. Since ACCUPLACER is computerized, please be aware that once you have gone on to the next question, you may not return to a previous question. However, you may spend as long as you need on each question in the reading and math sections, as there is no time limit. Test scores will be displayed on the monitor after testing. A copy of your results will be saved to your file, and your Academic Advisor will review them during your advising appointment. Hard copies of test results will not be distributed after testing. However, students may view and access their ACCUPLACER Score Report on the ACCUPLACER Student Portal.
If English is not your first language, we encourage you to take the ACCUPLACER ESL, which includes listening, reading, WritePlacer ESL (if required) and math.
Group testing must be pre-arranged; please call either the Clifton (513-569-1569) or Middletown (513-317-3722) location for scheduling needs.
ACCUPLACER – Study Resources
The assessment includes:
- WritePlacer: A 60 minute timed written essay based on a given prompt.
- Reading: An untimed assessment covering Rhetoric, Synthesis, Vocabulary and meaning of words and phrases.
- Math: An untimed assessment covering Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics, and Advanced Algebra Functions.
- ESL Listening: An untimed assessment measuring your ability to listen to and understand one or more people speaking in English. Sample questions available through the ACCUPLACER Study App.
- ESL Reading: (see Reading Skills on pages 14 & 15) An untimed assessment measuring your ability to read English through the comprehension of short passages.
- WritePlacer ESL : A 60 minute timed written essay based on a given prompt.
General Educational Development (GED)
The GED® Test covers 4 subjects: Math, Science, Social Studies, and Reasoning Through Language Arts.
Register to take your GED® Test with us in three easy steps!
- Create your online GED® account
- Choose how you will prepare for your GED® Test
- Select Cincinnati State as your test site
Prepare for Your GED® Test
GED/High School Equivalency Preparation Centers may be found on the Ohio Department of Education website as well as these locations:
- Cincinnati Public Schools Adult Education/Aspire – 513-363-6100
- Dohn Community – 513-281-6100
- East End Adult Learning Center – 513-321-6744
- Education Matters – 513-244-2214
- Great Oaks /Aspire – 513-612-5806
- Su Casa Hispanic Center (Español) – 513-761-1588
If you took your GED® at Cincinnati State previously and need your scores, please order online at https://diplomasender.com/
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam
The Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification is for individuals looking to increase their competence, productivity, and credibility with their colleagues and clients in today’s competitive job market, by demonstrating proficiency using Microsoft Office software programs. This test is open to the public and is administered in the Testing Center at the Clifton Campus.
Interested individuals should:
College Level Examination Program (CLEP)
Cincinnati State will begin offering CLEP exams in the Spring 2022 semester. Check back later for more details. Visit our online College Catalog to view the courses awarded based on subject scores earned.
If you are a student who has disabilities or believe you have disabilities, we encourage you to contact the Office of Disability Services at (513) 569-1775 prior to testing to make arrangements for necessary accommodations.
What to Expect When You Arrive for Testing
Cincinnati State cares about your safety: Masks are required indoors for all individuals.
Once you arrive at a Cincinnati State testing location, you will be asked for your photo ID. All State ID’s must be current. An approved Student ID Form may be used in place of a photo ID.
Next, you will be asked to lock up all personal belongings in a secure locker. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Cell phones or any electronic devices powered off or turned on silent mode (excludes medical related devices).
- Personal calculators and Windows system calculators are not permitted for the ACCUPLACER assessment. An online calculator will appear for appropriate math questions.
- Book bags, purses, wallets, etc.
- Coats, hats, sunglasses, Google Glass, and digital watches
- Food and drinks
- Any additional items that are not needed/allowed for testing
- Plan on at least 2 hours for the full ACCUPLACER assessment. The WritePlacer and WritePlacer ESL portion of the assessment is a timed 60-minute essay. The reading, math, and keyboarding portions are not timed.
- Microsoft Office exam takes approximately one hour to complete.
Once your items are secured, a Testing Assistant will show you to your assigned seat, where you will find scrap paper and pencils.
Address and Parking
Cincinnati State, Clifton Testing Center
3520 Central Parkway, 176 Main Building, Cincinnati, Ohio 45223
Cincinnati State, Middletown
1 North Main Street, Middletown, Ohio 45042
The Cincinnati State, Clifton Testing Center is located in room 176 Main Building
3520 Central Parkway, Cincinnati, Ohio 45223
The Cincinnati State, Middletown Testing Campus is located in room 124
1 North Main Street, Middletown, Ohio 45042
CCP Counselor Resources
The attached documents are for school counselors who are assisting College Credit Plus students with their placement test needs for Cincinnati State. They include information on how to become an ACCUPLACER Proctor for Cincinnati State as well as on campus testing requirements.
For more information visit the CCP Counselor Resources page.
Please note: Testing is closed on all College holidays. In inclement weather, the Testing Center will close if the College is closed. Please check your local news station or the website for updates on school closures prior to leaving for your exam.