ACCUPLACER – Placement Test
At this time, students who do not want to delay taking the ACCUPLACER may choose to take it online for a fee. Note that this is optional and students may elect to wait until testing resumes on campus to avoid the fee.
The ACCUPLACER may be used for advising and course placement. The assessment tool may be completed at the Clifton or Middletown campus locations, in addition to online or at an approved proctored location. Results will be forwarded to the student’s record for advising use. Examinees must be a Cincinnati State applicant or current student.
- Clifton Campus: REGISTER (Directions and Parking information below.)
- Middletown Campus: REGISTER by calling 513-217-3722 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Note that a 72 hour notice is required and tests administered on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. (Directions below)
- Online: REGISTER (Note that fees will apply and testing must be completed within 90 days from the date of issuance. The online option requires that the examinee has access to a computer, web camera, audio capabilities, and a high speed internet connection).
We suggest approximately two hours to complete all sections of the ACCUPLACER. Since ACCUPLACER is computerized, please be aware that once you have gone on to the next question, you may not return to a previous question. However, you may spend as long as you need on each question in the reading and math sections, as there is no time limit. Students may create an account with College Board to view and access their results.
If English is not your first language, we encourage you to take the ACCUPLACER ESL, which includes listening, reading, WritePlacer ESL (if required) and math.
Group testing must be pre-arranged; please call either the Clifton (513-569-1569) or Middletown (513-299-8339) location for scheduling needs.
ACCUPLACER – Study Resources
The assessment includes:
- WritePlacer: A 60 minute timed written essay based on a given prompt.
- Reading: An untimed assessment covering Rhetoric, Synthesis, Vocabulary and meaning of words and phrases.
- Math: An untimed assessment covering Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra and Statistics, and Advanced Algebra Functions .
- ESL Listening: An untimed assessment measuring your ability to listen to and understand one or more people speaking in English.
- ESL Reading: (see Reading Skills on pages 14 & 15) An untimed assessment measuring your ability to read English through the comprehension of short passages.
- WritePlacer ESL : A 60 minute timed written essay based on a given prompt.
General Educational Development (GED)
We plan to administer the GED on-campus during Summer 2021. Check back for updates. At this time, you can view local testing sites on the Ohio Department of Educations website as well as reach out to these locations:
- East End Adult Education Center – 513-921-6744
- Fairfield Training Center – 513-442-1528
- Great Oaks Center – 513-771-8925
- New Horizons Computer Learning Center – 513-554-0111
- Tactix Consulting Group, Inc – 513-333-4140
- UC Clermont College – 513-732-5200
GED/High School Equivalency Preparation Centers may be found on the Ohio Department of Educations website as well as these locations:
- Cincinnati Public Schools Adult Education/Aspire – 513-363-6100
- Dohn Community – 513-281-6100
- East End Adult Learning Center – 513-321-6744
- Education Mattes – 513-244-2214
- Great Oaks /Aspire – 513-612-5806.
- Su Casa Hispanic Center (Espanol) – 513-761-1588
If you took your GED at Cincinnati State previously and need your scores, please order online at https://diplomasender.com/
Microsoft Office Specialist Exam
Due to COVID-19 challenges, The Microsoft Office test is currently unavailable.
The Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification is for individuals looking to increase their competence, productivity, and credibility with their colleagues and clients in today’s competitive job market, by demonstrating proficiency using Microsoft Office software programs. This test is open to the public and is administered in the Testing Center at the Clifton Campus.
Students interested in this certification should:
If you are a student who has disabilities or believe you have disabilities, we encourage you to contact the Office of Disability Services at (513) 569-1775 prior to testing to make arrangements for necessary accommodations.
What to Expect When You Arrive for Testing
Once you arrive at a Cincinnati State testing location, you will be asked for your photo ID. All State ID’s must be current. An approved Student ID Form may be used in place of a photo ID.
Next, you will be asked to lock up all personal belongings in a secure locker. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Cell phones or any electronic devices powered off or turned on silent mode (excludes medical related devices).
- Personal calculators and Windows system calculators are not permitted for the ACCUPLACER assessment. An online calculator will appear for appropriate math questions.
- Book bags, purses, wallets, etc.
- Coats, hats, sunglasses, Google Glass, and digital watches
- Food and drinks
- Any additional items that are not needed/allowed for testing
- Plan on at least 2 hours for the full ACCUPLACER assessment. The WritePlacer and WritePlacer ESL portion of the assessment is a timed 60-minute essay. The reading, math, and keyboarding portions are not timed.
- Microsoft Office exam takes approximately one hour to complete.
Once your items are secured, a Testing Assistant will show you to your assigned seat, where you will find scrap paper and pencils.
Parking and Directions
Clifton: All examinees testing in the Testing Center who do not have a valid Cincinnati State parking pass must park in either the Central Parkway or Ludlow Garages. Both garages charge $5 per day and accept cash or credit cards.
Middletown: Parking is free
Cincinnati State, Clifton Testing Center
3520 Central Parkway, Cincinnati, Ohio 45223
Cincinnati State, Middletown
1 North Main Street, Middletown, Ohio 45042
Appointments may be scheduled 72 hours in advance for Tuesdays (1 pm to 5 pm), Wednesdays (11 am to 2 pm) and Thursdays (9 am to 12 pm).
CCP Counselor Resources
The attached documents are for school counselors who are assisting College Credit Plus students with their placement test needs for Cincinnati State. They include information on how to become an ACCUPLACER Proctor for Cincinnati State as well as on campus testing requirements.
For more information visit the CCP Counselor Resources page.
Please note: Testing is closed on all College holidays. In inclement weather, the Testing Center will close if the College is closed. Please check your local news station or the website for updates on school closures prior to leaving for your exam.