Effective Wednesday August 4th, masks are required indoors and in parking garages at all Cincinnati State campuses for all persons, vaccinated and unvaccinated.

International Students

Cincinnati State welcomes international people who want to study here as an F-1 or M-1 student.  To secure your I-20 as a F1 or M1 visa status, follow the steps below.  We encourage you to apply at least two months before intending to begin classes.  If you have a pending Change of Status (CoS) with the USCIS but it has not yet been adjudicated, you should apply as an International student and follow these steps.

Undecided major? Explore your career options

If you are unsure about your major, consider participating in our “Moving Beyond Undecided” session. The Career Center will assist you through the career exploration process to select an academic program that can lead to a career that best fits your interests.  Register for a Moving Beyond Undecided  Session or access the on-demand session (passcode %v6.!u!M).  If you have not attended an Information Session with an admissions representative, we encourage you to do that prior to the Moving Beyond Undecided session. Register now for an on-campus visit or virtual session.

1 – Apply for Admission to the College

Complete the online Standard  Application. There is no required fee at the time you submit the application. A $15 non-refundable admission fee will be charged to your first semester’s tuition statement.

Please note that Admission to the College does not admit you to all health care programs.  Many of our programs in the Health and Public Safety division have special admission requirements.

2 – Submit Transcripts

Education outside the USA – Submit an English translation of your high school transcript AND a copy of diploma/certification. Upload foreign transcripts/diploma here.

If transferring college/university coursework from outside the USA, transcript(s) must be translated and evaluated by a member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). See recommended agencies below.

Original foreign transcripts will be photocopied and returned to students; however, any translated and evaluated documents must be sent from the credential evaluation service provider.

English Translation Services:

English Translation Services and Evaluation Services:

Education within the USA – Request that your high school and any college/university attended send an official transcript to  Cincinnati State, Office of Admissions.   If you have an associates degree or higher, your high school transcript will be waived. If you have a GED, you may use this link to request your scores to be sent.

3 – Demonstrate English Proficiency

To demonstrate English proficiency, international students must meet one of the following:

  • Submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores that are less than two years old, with a minimum score of 500 (Paper), 173 (Computer) or 61(Internet-based). The Educational Testing Service school code for Cincinnati State is 1984.
  • Submit International English Language Testing System (IELTS) scores that are less than two years old, with a minimum overall score of 5.0.
  • Submit ACCUPLACER scores that are less than two years old, with minimum score of 4 on WritePlacer ESL.
  • Provide U.S. High School diploma showing a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
  • Provide proof of completion of secondary school in an English-speaking country (see list of qualifying countries).
  • Submit official transcripts verifying successful completion of any college level English course with a grade of C or higher from a regionally accredited U.S. college or university. This does not include ESL coursework.

Exemption from the Cincinnati State English Composition requirement is determined by the Office of Admissions, the International Student Affairs Office, and the Academic Divisions.

4 – International Student Enrollment Packet

New and transfer F-1 and M-1 visa holders, and students who want to change their visa status to F-1, must complete and submit the International Student Enrollment Packet to the Office of International Student Affairs to receive their I-20.  Students must provide proof of adequate financial support.  An I-20 Form is issued to the student only after the Enrollment packet and all required documents are received and processedDownload the  International Student Enrollment Packet .

5 – Next Steps

Please allow  14  business days for Admissions to process all documents and send you a letter of Admission to the College.  Once admitted, you will receive next steps and instructions to:
  • Obtain I-20 from the International Affairs Office (see Enrollment Packet for details)
  • Explore your MyCState/MyServices account
  • Complete the online New Student Orientation
  • Schedule and meet with your Pathway Advisor
  • Schedule and pay for classes
Please note:
  • Cincinnati State does not provide on or off campus housing.
  • Admission to the College does not admit you to all health care programs.  Many of our programs in the Health and Public Safety division have special admission requirements. Please discuss with your Pathway Advisor.

6 – Contact the International Student Affairs Office

F-1 and M-1 students are required to maintain contact with the International Student Affairs Office while studying at Cincinnati State.

Call (513) 569-4769 or email international@cincinnatistate.edu.

Welcome to Cincinnati State! We are ready to assist you!